Our college-prep curriculum meets or exceeds all Common Core Curriculum and Ohio Curriculum standards. All high school core subject classes are taught at the AA (honors) level. Our specialist/elective classes help meet our Montessori curriculum by placing emphasis on the education and development of the whole child. These classes include fine arts, physical education, foreign languages, computer applications, and other special academic offerings.
At James N. Gamble Montessori High School, students must participate in two field studies (also known as intersessions) per year. Students are encouraged to explore interests outside of the classroom and/or outside the traditional school day. Follow the links to find information about upcoming field studies.
Each planned experience is an important part of the Cycle theme and curriculum lessons. Field experiences are linked closely to class work, and grades are given for the student’s participation, learning, and work on these experiences. Students must attend all field experiences.
Each year students participate in two major field experiences. Junior high students participate in camping every fall, then in the spring, 7th grade students attend Leadership Camp, while 8th grade students take part in a culminating marine biology study in Florida. Senior high students attend two 2-week intersession courses each school year. Other one-day field experiences are also scheduled.
Most field experiences require fee payments, and some of these fees are substantial. Our foundation offers many fundraisers for families to raise money for fees. Students themselves should contribute meaningfully toward fee payments through participation in fundraisers.
Junior High Instructional Format
- Combined grades 7 & 8 classrooms
- Students organized into communities
- Approximately 50 students per community
- 2 core subject teachers and 1 instructional assistant per community
- Weekly community meetings
- Yearly fall camping trip
- Year-end culminating trip (7th Grade leadership camp; 8th grade marine biology study)
High School Instructional Format
- Senior high communities by grade
- Grade level specific instruction
- All core subjects taught at AA (honors) level
- Two-week Intersessions mid-semester (twice yearly)—fall intersession by grade level; spring intersession by choice
- Weekly Community Meetings & Advisory
- College Preparation: ACT, SAT, applications, resume building
- Post-Secondary Enrollment Options Program (PSEOP) available for students to earn free college credit (and complete high school graduation requirements) by taking classes at area colleges and universities
- Ongoing research with culminating Senior Project
Course Selection Handbook
Click here to view the High School Course Selection Handbook
This booklet includes important information about how to earn an honors diploma, graduation requirements in the state of Ohio, and a brief description of all the courses we offer at Gamble. I encourage you to review this with your child before making decisions about next year's courses. We are excited about the many options we offer our students, despite our small size, and we encourage you to take full advantage of the wide range of courses available, especially our expanding selection of advanced placement classes.
High School Spring Intersession Guide
Click here to view the Spring Intersession Guide
Intersession is a required component for the completion of the Gamble Montessori course of study. Students must earn 2 full credits of intersession, earning .25 in the fall grade-specific intersessions and .25 in the spring elective intersessions each year.